Top 10 rules for a low carb diet
Ten rules for following a low carb diet
the golden rules for success
1. Count the carbs. Be Stricts, try to eat no more than 20 grams of carbohydrate a day for the first two weeks. You must count the carbs in your proteins as well as those in the salads and vegetables you eat.
2. Read labels. Labels matter. Become a skilled label reader. As a vegetarian you are probably used to checking that foods are suitable to eat. On this diet, you also have to check the carb content.
3. Beware of hidden carbs. Look out for hidden carbs in things like salad dressings, sauces and gravies.
4. Eat regular meals. Have three meals a day, including breakfast, and don’t skip meals. Eating regularly is an essential part of the diet. Eat until you feel satisfied, but don’t over-eat. Most people are amazed at how their desire for food changes when they stop eating carbs.
5. Get enough protein. Make sure you eat at least 60 grams of protein a day. It makes sense to spread your protein intake over the whole day, starting with a protein-rich breakfast.
6. Make friends with fat. Fat is not restricted as long as it’s the good fat found in seeds, nuts, olives, avocados and unrefined vegetable oils. You can also have butter, cream, mayonnaise and French dressing.
7. Get your five-a-day. Eat at least five portions of vegetables a day. As fruit is higher in carbs than vegetables, omit them for the first two weeks of the diet. Once you’ve completed the first fortnight, you can include some of the lower carb fruit such as rhubarb, raspberries and blackberries.
8. Avoid caffeine. Caffeine can unbalance your insulin levels and cause carb cravings, so avoid it if you can. Drink decaffeinated coffee and tea, or herbal tea without sweeteners. Avoid coffee substitutes made from cereals, as these are high in carbs.
9. Don’t drink alcohol. Alcohol is banned at the beginning, but you can drink wine, and a little low-carb beer if you wish, later in the diet.
10. Drink plenty of water. Drink at least 2 litres of water every day. Drinking water is very important. If you don’t drink enough, you may feel tired and the diet won’t work as well.